A Pragma-Dialectical Approach to Critical Media Discourse Analysis: A Case Study of an Editorial in The Washington Post
Keywords:Critical Discourse Analysis, media discourse, Pragma-Dialectics, strategic maneuvering, editorials.
Based on the research framework of
Pragma-Dialectics, the study analyses and
evaluates an editorial about Alibaba’s Initial
Public Offering (IPO) in The Washington Post to
develop a pragma-dialectical approach to critical
media discourse analysis. The approach consists
of four interrelated parts: reconstruction of
argumentation, analysis of strategic maneuvering,
evaluation of reasonableness and social criticism
on the basis of specific social reality. The
research results show that The Washington Post
exerts different strategic maneuvering in the
whole argumentation process to convince its
audience, which mainly reflected in the
manipulation of potential topic, audience demand
and presentation means. In the case study,
strategic maneuvering is specifically supported
by the choice of starting points in the opening
stage and the design of argumentation structure
in the argumentation stage. Owing to the
influence from the editorial board’s political
stand and self-interest, it doesn’t balance the
reasonableness and effectiveness and therefore
some manipulations contain fallacious moves.
In order to prevent American investors to invest
Alibaba’s IPO, when using strategic maneuvering
The Washington Post violates freedom rule,
standpoint rule and argument scheme rule,
especially the application of argumentation
scheme for the relation of analogy and
argumentation scheme for a causal relation.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Ma Yingqiu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Sinología Hispánica. China Studies Review considers all manuscripts on the strict condition that:
- The authors assign the exploitation rights (reproduction, distribution, public communication and transformation) of the work accepted for publication to the University of León on a non-exclusive basis. Authors can establish, on their own, additional agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (for example, placing it in an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), always acknowledging the initial publication. in this magazine.
- The manuscript is your own original work and does not duplicate any other previously published work, including your own previously published work.
- The manuscript is not currently under consideration or peer review, nor accepted for publication, nor in press, nor published elsewhere.
- The manuscript contains nothing that is abusive, defamatory, libellous, obscene, fraudulent, or illegal.
- Please note that Sinologia Hispanica uses Turnitin software to screen manuscripts for unoriginal material. By submitting your manuscript to Sinologia Hispanica you are agreeing to any necessary originality checks your manuscript may have to undergo during the peer-review and production processes. Any author who fails to adhere to the above conditions will be rejected.
- Authors are allowed and encouraged to electronically disseminate the pre-printed versions (version before being evaluated) and / or post-printing (version evaluated and accepted for publication) of their works before publication, since it favors their circulation and dissemination more early and with it, a possible increase in its citation and reach among the academic community.