The invention of Movable-Type Printing in the work of Shen Kuo (1031-1095)
Keywords:Shen Kuo, Mengxi Bitan, Movable-type Printing, Song Dynasty.
AbstractThis article analyses the jotting n° 307 of the book “Brush Talks from Dream Brook”
(Mengxi Bitan), by the scholar Shen Kuo (1031-1095). That jotting presents, by first time in History, the
movable-type printing invention. Our analysis of this jotting relates the exposition made by Shen Kuo
with the social context of its time, as well as with Shen Kuo’s own personal trajectory as scholar-official
of the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127). The performed examination reveals that Shen Kuo highlights
the movable-type printing invention based on its recurrent interest for technical developments; also, it
is concluded that the above-mentioned interest must not be isolated from Shen Kuo´s trajectory within
the Court, and, finally, that book printing was a noteworthy phenomenon in the society of Shen’s times,
for both socioeconomic and political reasons.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Luciano Agustín Di Doménico, Federico Daniel Mina, Gustavo E. Santillán
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Sinología Hispánica. China Studies Review considers all manuscripts on the strict condition that:
- The authors assign the exploitation rights (reproduction, distribution, public communication and transformation) of the work accepted for publication to the University of León on a non-exclusive basis. Authors can establish, on their own, additional agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (for example, placing it in an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), always acknowledging the initial publication. in this magazine.
- The manuscript is your own original work and does not duplicate any other previously published work, including your own previously published work.
- The manuscript is not currently under consideration or peer review, nor accepted for publication, nor in press, nor published elsewhere.
- The manuscript contains nothing that is abusive, defamatory, libellous, obscene, fraudulent, or illegal.
- Please note that Sinologia Hispanica uses Turnitin software to screen manuscripts for unoriginal material. By submitting your manuscript to Sinologia Hispanica you are agreeing to any necessary originality checks your manuscript may have to undergo during the peer-review and production processes. Any author who fails to adhere to the above conditions will be rejected.
- Authors are allowed and encouraged to electronically disseminate the pre-printed versions (version before being evaluated) and / or post-printing (version evaluated and accepted for publication) of their works before publication, since it favors their circulation and dissemination more early and with it, a possible increase in its citation and reach among the academic community.